Join the Cellsonics Team
Cellsonics is a pioneer in the application of ultrasonic energy technology for single cell research. Our SimpleFlowTM system provides unique advantages in the preparation of biological samples for single cell isolation and analysis. We have reengineered single cell sample preparation to rapidly dissociate viable, heterogeneous cell populations from solid tissue without changing their transcriptome signature from the natural state of the tissue. Using patented Bulk Lateral Ultrasonic (BLUTM) energy, Cellsonics’ hands-free SimpleFlow system automatically delivers viable cells in suspension in 10 minutes or less without the use of enzymes – that’s right, no enzymes or incubation to impair cell surface markers or compromise the transcriptomic integrity of cells. Cellsonics is an early-stage commercial company based in the Silicon Valley that has developed and is launching the SimpleFlow System to enable single cell research labs to obtain viable, heterogeneous cell populations without compromising the valuable data in each sample. We are looking for like minded team members that are interested in helping scientists make their next discovery by providing them cells that have been dissociated enzyme free.
Summary of Position: The Head of Engineering at Cellsonics Inc. is responsible for managing the engineering department, overseeing both Frontend and Backend development teams. The role involves executing the company's product portfolio, shaping its technical strategy, and driving development to establish Cellsonics as a leader in providing innovative tissue and cell-based laboratory applications to the Life Science market. This is a highly visible position with growth potential that will work closely with senior managers (CTO, CEO, VP Marketing) and participate in key corporate decision making. This person will:
- Lead the vision, design, strategy, and implementation of integrated systems to deliver novel equipment to the life science industry per product development plans, encompassing day-to-day scope management, issue, and risk management, as well as regular status reporting.
- Actively identify and recruit top-tier talent, assess external partners for Cellsonics product development, and oversee all Engineering resources.
- Implement effective development methodologies to deliver products aligned with requirements, sustainability objectives, and user preferences.
- Integrate instruments, consumables, and applications into solution-driven systems.
- Establish an organizational structure conducive to driving a high-performing development team for the successful delivery of solutions to the market with unwavering execution.
- Innovate and devise cost-effective approaches to address hardware, software, and firmware challenges during development and for end-users.
Reports To: CTO
- Develop, direct, and maintain a system to manage all product development programs and projects, ensuring key milestones, specifications, timelines, and budgets are met.
- Lead engineering teams to create a high-performance, results-driven environment with strict adherence to requirements.
- Support Marketing in developing a strong product pipeline and a differentiated portfolio for a competitive advantage.
- Attract, develop, and retain top talent for the Engineering function while motivating continuous improvement.
- Collaborate with Quality and Regulatory Assurance to ensure products comply with global regulatory requirements for medical devices.
- Establish and manage the operating budget.
- Ensure the Engineering organization provides technical assistance to other departments.
- Establish partnerships with Offshore Assembly and Test Houses (OSATs) to manage product development.
- A bachelor’s or advanced degree in Engineering, with a preference for Electrical Engineering, or an equivalent qualification.
- Minimum 20 years of progressive engineering leadership in global companies developing complex medical devices.
- A high level of expertise in digital, analog, RF, and mixed-signal hardware development, combined with an advanced understanding of integrated software, hardware systems, and embedded engineering.
- Capability to establish and expand the Engineering function, as well as attract and retain highly skilled professionals.
- Experience in device regulatory, certification, quality assurance, and compliance.
- Proficiency in utilizing tools for circuit design, simulation, and printed circuit board layout, including but not limited to Allegro, Altium, HPspice, etc.
- Practical expertise in working with interfaces such as PCIe, I2C, USB3, DDR4/5, and hands-on familiarity with laboratory equipment like Oscilloscopes, Network Analyzer, Spectrum Analyzer, and Logic Analyzer.
- Demonstrated competence in embedded processors, microcontrollers, and state machines.
- Robotics experience is considered a plus.
This Head of Engineering position requires a candidate with a strong technical background, leadership experience in life science tool development, and the ability to drive innovation and collaboration within the engineering teams. The emphasis on talent management, regulatory compliance, and strategic vision makes this role pivotal in achieving Cellsonics' goals in the Life Science market.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.